Equipping educators with the confidence and skills to teach creative writing is essential to our mission
Our CPD offer is unique: the opportunity to design a creative-writing masterclass with a published author.
First Story’s intensive Writer-in-Residence programme includes bespoke Continuing Professional Development (CPD) training for school staff.
Training is delivered on site by your Writer-in-Residence, tailored to address your school’s particular development plan priorities.
- Our training leads to increased enjoyment of creative writing by teachers themselves, as they build their confidence as writers.
- Teachers report increased confidence and capability in delivering creative lessons, as a result of First Story’s training.
- Through our training teachers gain access to resources and increased knowledge of specific strategies for developing students’ writing.
- In consultation with lead teachers, we’ll plan a training session that adds value for the whole school.
Example CPD Sessions
- A creative writing workshop for all staff, as part of an INSET day.
- Training for NQTs and teaching assistants in performance skills and techniques for reading aloud to a class.
- Participation in a review of the creative writing provision curricula offer across the three secondary key stages for English.
- A session for History, Geography and Art departments on how creative writing can be used to secure engagement with artefacts and images.
- Delivery of tips for teaching creative writing for GCSE examination, including sharing of resources with English staff.
- A session with English staff to address a specific weakness they identified in reviewing GCSE creative writing papers.
By sharing First Story’s exemplar creative writing pedagogy we aim to positively influence and strengthen teachers’ own practice.