We had a record number of entries from state secondary schools across the country all responding to the theme of ‘Home’. We feel truly privileged to have received and read so many entries of such outstanding quality – it was a tough task whittling it down to these pieces. We hope they reflect the quality and variety of creative writing we received and that you enjoy reading them.
We will announce the National Writing Competition Shortlist next month and all the shortlisted pieces will be published in a professional anthology. The winners of each key stage will also win a place on an Arvon creative writing residential and the overall winner will have their piece published on The Sunday Times online. So watch this space for further announcements!
The prize giving ceremony will be held as part of the LSE Space for Thought Literary Festival on Monday 9th March 2015. This event is open to the public and will showcase readings from the shortlisted students, plus a panel of authors discussing the idea of ‘Home’.
For more information on the prize giving please see here.
Key Stage Three Longlist
- Grace Atkinson, Ribblesdale High School
- Phoenix Bergman, Acland Burghley
- Jamie Croucher, The Albany School
- Opal Florey, The Oxford Academy
- Jessica Gill, Pool Academy
- Zakkai Goriely, The Cherwell School
- Roseanne Harrison, Cheney School
- Charlie Kelly, Dixons Allerton Academy
- Mariela Krasteva, Woodside High School
- Megan Lange, Babington Community College
- Hannah Leaver, Graveney School
- Mukahang Limbu, Oxford Spires Academy
- Yen-Yen Loke, Wymondham High Academy
- Yanja Longwe, Nottingham Academy.
- Alex Lutman, Acland Burghley
- Joshua Moules, Uxbridge High School
- Olivia Richardson, City Academy Norwich
- Jonathon Rugg, Dame Alice Owen’s School
- Misbah Shaheen, Feversham College
- Isaac Silver, Wymondham High Academy.
- Elizabeth Taiwo, Lammas School
- Morgan Toft, Boulevard Academy
- Ciaran Wilson, Ulidia Integrated College.
Key Stage Four Longlist
- Safah Ahmed, Loxford School of Science and Technology
- Sharmin Akthar Oaklands School
- Barirah Ashfak, Feversham College
- Amina Azong, Lammas School
- Sophie Brock, Pentrehafod School
- Lily Douglas, Willowfield Humanities College
- Erin Gilbey, Licoln Christ Hospital School
- Amy Hamshere, The Oxford Academy
- Rabia Irshad, Wembley High Technology College
- Shannon McNulty, The Bridge Ap Academy
- Safeerah Mughal, Feversham College.
- Alice Tyrrell, Graveney School
- Megan Welch, Swanwick Hall
- Huw Wilson, Ysgol Dewi Sant
Key Stage Five Longlist
- Folasade Afualaka, Loxford School of Science and Technology
- Olivia Andrew, Drayton Manor High School
- Mollie Buckley, East Norfolk Sixth Form
- Damayanti Chatterjee, Herschel Grammar School
- Dominic James, The Cherwell School
- Hugh Kindred, Pimlico Academy
- Jake Marmot, Mossbourne Community Academy
- Ayesha Malik, Burlington Danes Academy
- Esme Partridge, Oxford Spires Academy
- Catherine Sleeman, The Holy Trinity C of E School
- Sui Anukka, Matthew Moss High School
- Jahlisha Israel, Pimlico Academy
- James Lawton, Matthew Moss High School
- Melissa Lord, Banovallum School
- Andy Maclachlan, Pimlico Academy
- Helen Mallinson, Pimlico Academy
- Kira Roberts, Pimlico Academy
- Hannah Swain, City Academy Norwich
- Janie Tonkin, Pimlico Academy
- Austin Webster, St Helena School