SCHOOL STAFF: This online consent form is for parents/guardians only. If you have paper forms, please upload via the Schools’ Hub
First Story is a registered charity working towards a society that encourages and supports all young people to write creatively for pleasure and agency. We believe there is dignity and power in being able to tell your own story, and that writing can transform lives. We work in UK secondary schools to equip young people with the skills and confidence to tell their stories well.
We are delighted to have your child take part in our Young Writers Programme. This includes our in-school creative writing programme with a Writer-in-Residence, national writing competitions, our Young Writers’ Festival, regional events, our summer residential, and a published group anthology featuring your child’s writing.
To fully participate in and benefit from our programme, all First Story students must complete an Intellectual Property (IP) consent form. Please read through and complete this with your child at the start of the programme.
Student’s consent and acknowledgement
In return for our arranging for you to take part in our programme as a participant and by completing this online form, you agree and acknowledge as follows:
- You consent to taking part in the First Story programme.
- You consent to being photographed, filmed and/or recorded by or for us in connection with the programme
- You consent to be interviewed in connection with First Story’s work to raise awareness of the benefits of creative writing in the media, such as in print publications, TV and radio programmes, online and mobile content.
Grant of rights
- We may use (and authorise the use of) your authorised contributions for all purposes that are consistent with our charitable status by any means. Accordingly, you:
- grant us a non-exclusive licence to use your contributions for those purposes;
- grant us every consent that may now or later be required by law for such use;
- accept that we may edit your contribution as appropriate for such use; and
- accept that we shall credit you as a contributor, but only where reasonably practical or suitable.
- You acknowledge that we shall use your personal details:
- for all purposes of delivering our programme;
- when conducting surveys of our programme (the responses to which we may cite in anonymised form in publications and funding applications); and
- for any other relevant purposes described in our privacy notice.
- You acknowledge that you have read that notice, which explains the personal data that we collect from you, and how, why and how long we process that information.
An * below indicates a mandatory field.
Thank you for taking part in our programme.