Dear Parent or Guardian,
First Story is a registered charity working towards a society that encourages and supports all young people to write creatively for pleasure and agency. We believe there is dignity and power in being able to tell your own story, and that writing can transform lives. We work in UK secondary schools to equip young people with the skills and confidence to tell their stories well.
We are delighted to have your child take part in our creative writing programme at their school. As they work intensively with our professional Writer-in-Residence, and with the rest of the First Story group, they will develop in confidence, creativity and writing ability.
We hope they will also participate in the extended opportunities First Story offers, including national writing competitions, our Young Writers’ Festival, regional events and our summer residential. Finally, on completion of the programme, we look forward to publishing your child’s writing in their group’s anthology.
To fully participate in and benefit from our programme, all First Story students must complete an Intellectual Property (IP) consent form. Please read through and complete this with your child at the start of the programme.
Student’s consent and acknowledgement
By completing this online form:
- You consent to taking part in the First Story programme.
- You consent to be photographed, filmed and/or recorded by or for First Story in connection with our programme.
- We may use your authorised contributions for all purposes that are consistent with our charitable status and mission. Accordingly, you:
- grant First Story a non-exclusive licence to use your contributions for those purposes;
- grant First Story every consent that may now or later be required by law for such use;
- accept that First Story may edit your contribution as appropriate for such use; and
- accept that First Story will credit you as a contributor only where reasonably practical or suitable.
- You acknowledge that we will use your personal details:
- for all purposes of delivering our programme;
- when conducting surveys of our programme (the responses to which we may cite in anonymised form in publications and funding applications); and;
- for any other relevant purposes described in our privacy notice. (Please read First Story’s privacy notice, which explains the personal data that we collect from you, and how, why and how long we process that information.)
Thank you for taking part in our programme.